Thursday, July 1, 2010

this crazy thing called LIFE

According to the dictionary (dictionary.com), life is what separates the organisms from the inorganic objects and things that are no longer alive (dead). Life is a breath, a heart beat, a movement, growing... Sounds serene, doesn't it? Sounds simple, peaceful...
For the last while, our lives have been full of much more than that! June was a crazy month for us; full of mostly good things, fun things... and some things not so fun - either way, it was busy.
Sometimes the business is hard for me to swallow; mostly before it comes, and when I'm really tired. I mean - I really like being home. My home is my physical haven. I'm a home-body. And I like my home to be clean (I can honestly say right now if you walked into my house there are things out of place, there is dog hair on the floor, there are clothes scattered (clean and dirty)... And I am not a fan. And honestly - I really like sleep, and I like to sleep at home.
I like changing in to sweats the moment I get home from work or church, I like curling up on the couch or sitting on our back deck in a rocking chair, all on my time. I like my schedules - the time that I wake up, the time I spend with the Lord over coffee, my run, my meal plans for the month, when Ben will be home... All of which can get moved around or completely missed by other plans and being busy.
As I was thinking about the busyness of the past month today, and making some plans for July, I realized that it's probably not going to slow down for a while - at least as far as I can tell. Part of me wishes for a break, but all of me is trusting that this is where God has us right now - so I'll take it! There's no place that I would rather be.
I'm glad that we have friends and family that we want to see and spend time with, I'm thankful for the opportunities to embark on adventures as a married couple, I feel so blessed to have people in our lives and in our home regularly so that we might invest in their lives and learn to love Jesus more and more.
I am truly thankful for where we are right now. For all the craziness and people that are in our lives. For all the planned things, the things that pop up, the schedules, and the messed-up schedules. I am more thankful for a Saviour that walks with us, that doesn't give us more than we can handle; who takes our burdens so we can bear His light load; who loves us and only wants what's best for us; the God that lets us in on the work He is doing. I am thankful that God is teaching me to let go of my priorities (even cleaning :) ) for His; to let go of my schedules, my plans, so that I can embrace His; to be completely free.
He is teaching me that rest doesn't come from sleep, it doesn't come from laying in a lawn chair or swinging on a porch swing (although I thoroughly enjoy both); it comes from abiding in the Lord and resting in Him. Finding peace and comfort and joy and everything I need. His word is the bread of life - the very basic thing I need to survive - and more precious than gold. My relationship with Him is everything - all I need.
Busyness comes and goes. But I am refreshed by knowing that God is sovereign, that I am where He wants me to be, and I can be thankful for every circumstance and every season of life I'm in - no matter how crazy or simple it might be.

1 comment:

  1. That is great wisdom and what I needed to hear tonight! Thanks so much for sharing. God is using you and it is beautiful! Thanks for letting Him!

    ReplyDelete